In 2015, I created this fun little challenge to encourage 70 other writers to write 1000 words a day for a year. The experiment resulted in over 40% of them reaching that goal and another 30% writing over 100k. We tweaked the rules and allowed members to set their own goals and now 1200+ writers have written over 300 million words in a few short years.
Over twenty of those members have joined my admin team making it possible for us to help more writers. These seasoned writers lead teams to guide members through setting goals and building the right mindset and habits with weekly accountability, fun-themed badges, sprinting sessions, emails, contests, and more.
We strive to create a community where everyone is seen, heard, and supported.
We value FLEXIBILITY. All content is come and use when/how you need. The only two things that are time specific are co-working and sprinting sessions. Aim to drop in 2-3x a week for 10 to 30 minutes and participate in the conversations and learn more skills that will help you refine your writing routine.
We value ACCOUNTABILITY. We formed this group around the truth that it’s significantly easier to reach your goal when you have someone holding you accountable. Share your weekly goals with your team and your weekly wins with the group.
We value COMMUNITY. Most of us learn better by hearing the same thing in multiple ways and from different perspectives. You won’t find a 12 point map with course work to finish each week, but you will find thought-provoking questions and personal challenges to try. We want you to put 80% of your energy into writing and use the other 20% to learn and share.
We value EQUABILITY. Many writers in our group have chronic illnesses, disabilities, are neurodivergent, or have complex life situations that can be hurdles to having a consistent and/or productive writing time. We strive to make our resources available in multiple formats and have no requirements for participation to stay in the challenge. We understand life/illness happen and you may need to take a few weeks off to focus on it. That's why we focus on building habits over time versus an intensive that requires valuable but limited energy.
We value SUSTAINABILITY. The skills you learn here can be applied across your life and can be repeated for years to come. For example, once you learn to identify your distractions, you will start seeing them in other areas and increase your focus and attention. If you learn how to quiet your phone while you write, you can do the same when you eat dinner with your partner(s) or have a conversation with your child or friend.
These core values help us serve the many F.A.C.E.S. of our community and are our promise to you.
I'm Jessica White the Founder and Coordinator of 365 Writing challenge
"I couldn't do this without an amazing team that keeps this boat afloat. These people are the reason we can do this year after year."
Our dedicated team has grown since the beginning, but our dedication to you has grown even more.
Ran by writers, just like you, 365 Writing Challenge is fueled by leadership, inspiration, and compassion.
Former team admins
Jude Cocaigne International Fantasy Author with Dashes of Romance and Horror.
Jaclyn Roche Stories with a Bite. Dark Fantasy, Romance, Horror, Paranormal Author.
Sara Marschand Fantasy and Science Fiction short story author.
Stella Samuel Indie Women’s Fiction Author.
Christine Hennebury Writer, Creativity Coach, Storyteller, & Gold Star Awarder.
Joanna Maciejewska Sorcery, Swords, & Snark. Bilingual Science Fiction & Fantasy writer.
Glenda Thompson Compelling fiction, real emotions
Amanda Howard YA Fantasy Author and Hot chocolate enthusiast.
V. Jolene Miller Award winning independent author who writes for and
about the misfits, the misunderstood, and the underdogs of life.